Friday, June 7, 2013

Superchick....Able to erase my presence from memories in a flash!



I think I am Superman. Er, Superwoman. Girl. Chick.
Or at the very least, I am Clark Kent.
Allow me to explain.
Yesterday I attended a meeting with about 15 people, all of whom I had recently met or worked with in some form or fashion. The lady to my left was someone I had met/spoken with four times previously, and I had to re-introduce myself to her each of those four times. Apparently I don't leave much of an impression. I'm like Invisible Girl. Which would be super handy in real life if it were actually true. Unfortunately, I have yet to find the correct magical radioactive elixir that will fully transform me. Still working on that.
Anyhoo, at this particular meeting (5th time we had met, if you're keeping track) she thrusts her hand out and says, "Hi, I don't think we've met."
Really?
So this time I said, "Yes, we have worked together a few times before. It's nice to see you again."
Do you know what her response was? She said, "Oh yeah, I remember you...your glasses were throwing me off!" Because on that particular day, I happened to be wearing my glasses, where normally I wear contacts.
Well this exchange got me to thinking, which is an extremely dangerous past time of mine. Apparently, I AM CLARK KENT. I am able to magically transform my appearance with nothing more than a pair of brown frames. (all those teeny bopper movies were right!) I bet you're all jealous now, huh?
Now don't get me wrong -- this lady is a very nice, intelligent person -- I am not disparaging her in the least. She legitimately did not remember me. I simply had never made that much of an impression on her. And for that, I blame myself entirely.
I am a behind-the-scenes kinda girl, so in the majority of settings, I choose to remain quiet and unobtrusive. In retrospect, it doesn't sound like that tactic has been particularly helpful in either my career or in my personal life. Because that's not the first time it's happened.
I am often overlooked. This isn't a pity party, it's a simple fact. I've met the same people over and over again, like some weird, increasingly awkward Groundhog Day movie marathon. I've always seen myself as 'Plain Jane'; often disparaging my brown hair and brown eyes. I'm not particularly trendy, I don't go to parties (afraid of people, remember?), and I don't really put myself 'out there'. I am a homebody, and I always have been. I like solitary activities, like reading, drawing, crafting, cooking, plotting world domination, etc.My last post detailed my new found resolution to try and accept my body, one day at a time. That's a big one for me, and one that I will have to work on every single day. Well maybe I need to start working on my shrinking violet tendencies as well.
Maybe instead of being quiet and unobtrusive, I need to try to be more of an active participator. Maybe I need to let go of my preconceived notions, and realize that maybe I do have something interesting to say, and maybe people would (*gasp!*) like to hear it.
I can't promise I'll get better at this. But admitting it is the first step, right? And the next time I have to 'meet' someone for the 6th or 7th time (I'm looking at you, Marketing guy), I'll have no one to blame but myself.
So, my fellow shrinking violets, my forgotten masses - let's rise up and.....I don't know, be active or somethin'? You've got a lot to say, and those poor bastards out there want to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment