Friday, June 21, 2013

Thank you, Marilyn Monroe


False

Thank you, Marilyn.
I was talking to a friend of mine this week about body types and body images, and I confessed to her that I hate clothes shopping. I am short, and designers don't exactly have ME in mind when they design these beautiful dresses and skirts and, HELL, shirts even.
So I prefer to just shop online, because to go into a store and try on item after item with no success, all the while being shame-mocked by those skinny bitch mirrors with bad lighting overhead....it's just too much for this girl to take.
Now, this friend of mine has a figure I'd give up gummy bears for - very slender, tall (-er than me, which probably isn't really saying much). But I think what impresses me the most is how she puts her clothes together.
Anyway, this lovely person said the kindest thing - where I call myself 'chubby' or 'stumpy', she called me 'curvaceous'. Wow. Talk about 2 sides of a coin -- it's all about body image! Pin-up girls in the 40s and 50s were thicky-thick girls! They had curves and meat on their bones. I thought, 'Well just imagine how happy I would have been with my body type in those days!' But when you think about that - obviously Marilyn got some flack for her body type, even back then...if the comment in the picture above is any indication.
So I continue to struggle, and just hope that bit by bit, step by step, I will eventually come to a place where maybe I could even have a shopping trip to an ACTUAL brick-and-mortar store, and try on clothes without wanting to beat someone with shopping hangers.
Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment