Friday, May 17, 2013

Stay weird, my friends



People make me anxious. You never quite know what they're up to, and sometimes they just flat-out let you down. As social media and texting have become more prevalent, I find myself trying to avoid people altogether....and I don't think I'm the only one. Much like our good friend Gossamer, who we met during the age when they actually showed Bugs Bunny cartoons on Saturday mornings, I get a little freaked out when I see large groups of PEEEOPLE!!!!
I always seem to feel like I don't fit in with the group, and I tend to gravitate towards the perimeter so that I can slowly, slyly make my way to the exit. However, recently I stumbled upon a startling conclusion: I am not weird. Well, maybe I am - but my feelings of being uncomfortable in group settings is not weird. In fact, I think most people feel the same way. Even the ones who seemingly look oh-so-casual and 'with it' -- yes, them too. Sure, there are a few prom queens in our midst, God love 'em, but I think for the most part, the ones who seem to be the most 'with it' are just the ones who are able to fake it the best. That old saying 'Fake it 'til you make it' seems pretty appropriate right about now.
So, my dear awkward, socially-inept, weird friends:
Embrace your inner Gossamer. There's nothing wrong with it!
BUT -
Know that deep down, through all the layers of your weirdness, there is still someone pretty original and unique. You just have to give them permission to come out and play sometime.
Until next time......just stay weird :)

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME post! As far as I'm concerned weird is just another word for kick ass personality! Although that's three seperate words. Nuances.

    ReplyDelete